Friday, September 28, 2012

Deeeeep deeeep scurry

 Time is where we are
And time is where we've been
Time is being lost
And found again..
Alandra Nicole Moreira 

Where have I been? What have I been doing? With what have I been preoccupied? Hard to say. A month here and a day there and the next thing you know a decade has flown by. In January I will have been married for 10 years. A significant block of one's life, I think anyone would agree.  It too has blown past me, without examination, at times, and with obsessive examination at other times.
A comment was made yesterday about knowing the "important" from the "mundane". It was said that a good 85% of what we do is mundane (scurrying about for nothing in particular). Maybe 15% of our time is spent on important activities focused on a specific and meaningful goal.
I would venture to say that time spent in my work inbox, with its 374 emails at any given time, is not time well spent. In fact, the time and effort exerted, have little or no payoff and do not come near to adding up to something that feels like meeting meaningful and specific goals. I have a particular pet peeve about work emails and the phenomena of emails in the workplace. I have "email rage" fantasies in which I glue together the fingers of the next person who unnecessarily hits "reply to all". Too strong? Well too bad, 'cuz I sorta mean it.
Reeling myself back in...So anyway, I hate to admit it but I have been completely immersed in mundane, unimportant, hamster wheel spinning, tasks.
How does that make me feel? Stoooopid.

So I have resolved (oh no):
1. To make better choices about tasks in which I choose to engage.
2. To have some sort of goal for the day (especially at work).
3. To give up some control and to gain some control.

Love M.

No comments:

Post a Comment